Strengths and weaknesses of common resistor types
Among these devices are chip resistors, which remain in high demand today and are among the basic building blocks for many circuits. They are more space efficient than discrete encapsulated resistors and require less preparation prior to assembly. As they have grown more popular, their capabilities have also become more important. Key parameters include electrostatic discharge (ESD) protection, thermal electromotive force (EMF), temperature coefficient of resistance (TCR) and self-heating properties, long-term stability, power coefficient, and noise.
In the technology comparisons to follow, wirewound resistors are discussed for their use in precision circuits. But it should be remembered that wirewound resistors are not available in true chip form (chip without a molding), and therefore are not usable in applications where weight and size limitations demand precision in the chip resistor format.
Although the overall system performance is improved by upgrading each component or subsystem, it is nevertheless true that overall performance is still determined by the weakest link in the chain. Each component comes to the system with built-in tradeoffs that limit overall performance, with particular concern over short- and long-term stability, frequency response, and noise. In the discrete-resistor industry, advances have been made in wirewound, thick film, thin film, and foil resistor technologies, with each offering various tradeoffs in performance per unit cost.
- No news
- EE Times Silicon 60: Hot Startups to Watch
- Silicon 60 Reveals Shifts in Technology Focus
- CEO interview: China, not Apple, is way to go, says mCube CEO
- Is there still room for the vacuum tube?
- More wafer fab closures expected in 2014, says IC Insights
- Failed merger talks won't stop Dialog
- Top ten automotive MEMS sensor vendors ranked
- When GND isn't GND single-ended circuits become differential
- Researchers discover how beryllium causes deadly lung disease
- HiSilicon, MediaTek, Nvidia growing fastest in apps processor market
- Mapper opens Russian MEMS fab
- RFID tags track honey bees
- IoT: sensor fusion or confusion?
- 'Air waveguide' creates 'optical cables' out of thin air
- AMS, Dialog merger talks fail
- Automated Macro-Model Extraction Using SPICE Netlist
- Dual 13A μModule Regulator with Digital Interface for Remote Monitoring & Control of Power
- Localized Haptic Feedback for Touch Controls
- Flexible and Low Power Driving of Solenoid Coils
- Precision Industrial Systems Demand a New Level of Data Conversion Accuracy
- 14-Bit, 4-20 mA, Loop Powered, Thermocouple Temperature Measurement System Using ARM Cortex-M3
- High-Precision Sine/Cosine Interpolation